Fireplace fall leaves baby with burns
A 14-month old baby is in Starship children's hospital with serious injuries after falling against a fireplace, emergency services say.
Ambulance crews took the baby to a local school in the Tapu region of the Coromandel Peninsula yesterday where they were met by the Auckland Westpac Rescue Helicopter.
Intensive care flight paramedic Russell Clarke said the baby's hands and face were burnt during its fall and pain relief and immediate treatment were required before it could be flown to Starship.
He said the mother was concerned but the baby was well-treated. The baby's injuries were serious but stable.