Garage blaze threatens family home

MATT BOWEN
Last updated 08:27 01/08/2014

Relevant offers

A family-of-four woke up and dialled 111 just in time to save their house after the attached double garage went up in flames.

The Waihi Volunteer Fire Brigade responded to the emergency on Heard Rd shortly before midnight and chief fire officer, Moe Stevens, said the family's home was about to catch fire when they arrived.

''The occupants [a man, woman and their two grown sons] woke up and the house was full of smoke and it was starting to go,'' Stevens said.

''We had difficulty getting into the garage because the roller doors were electric and they were buggered.''

Eventually they tore the door off and managed to contain the fire.

A fire investigator is due to analyse the burnt out shed today to try and find what sparked the blaze.

Stevens couldn't say what the cause was but he suspected it was the meter box in the shed.

Ad Feedback

- Waikato Times

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Become a fan of The Waikato Times

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to get the latest news

Contact us

• Story ideas: Email or call 07 849 6180
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Subscription & delivery - 0800 806 180 or email
• View the Digital Edition
• Contacts@Waikato Times
• Advertise on waikatotimes.co.nz

Celebrations- small - Waikato

Celebrations

View marriage and birth notices from around the region

Deaths- small- Waikato

Death Notices

View obituaries from around the region

My subscription

The easy way to put your Waikato Times delivery on hold or report a missed or damaged paper