Fire rips through school

BELINDA FEEK
Last updated 14:42 27/06/2012

Relevant offers

A toilet block at a Waikato school and two of its classrooms have been damaged by fire after a student admitted playing with a lighter.

Waikato fire safety officer Kevin Holmes said a toilet along with a cloak room at Te Awamutu Intermediate were severely damaged while two other classrooms suffered fire or water damage after the blaze began just before noon today.

The school was successfully evacuated and none of the students were injured.

Mr Holmes said the boy tried, unsuccessfully, to extinguish the fire before admitting to his teacher what he had done.

One of the classrooms suffered serious water damage and is unable to be used while another suffered minor fire damage.

Ad Feedback

- Waikato Times

Special offers
Opinion poll

Who do you think won Key v Cunliffe's second debate?

John Key

David Cunliffe

It was neck and neck

Neither

Vote Result

Related story: Leaders debate reveals more even contest

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Become a fan of The Waikato Times

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to get the latest news

• Story ideas: Email or call 07 849 6180
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Subscription & delivery - 0800 806 180 or email
• Buy a photo
• View the Digital Edition
• Contacts@Waikato Times
• Advertise on waikatotimes.co.nz

Celebrations- small - Waikato

Celebrations

View marriage and birth notices from around the region

Deaths- small- Waikato

Death Notices

View obituaries from around the region

My subscription

The new easy way to put your Waikato Times delivery on hold or report a missed or damaged paper