Resthome fire kills man

Last updated 11:03 12/11/2012

Relevant offers

An elderly Putaruru man has died at Waikato Hospital after his clothing caught fire as he smoked a cigarette outside the aged care facility.

Detective Sergeant Ricky Thompson of the Hamilton CIB said rest home staff had extinguished the flames by the time emergency services arrived on Saturday afternoon.

''The staff found him and extinguished the fire but he received extensive burns to his torso and head,'' Mr Thompson said.

The Putaruru man was flown to Waikato Hospital by Westpac Waikato Air Ambulance but died a short time later as a result of his injuries.

Management of Cardrona Resthome were unavailable to comment on the incident when contacted by Waikato Times this morning.

Mr Thompson said while police were investigating the incident, they were not looking for anyone else. 

Ad Feedback

- © Fairfax NZ News

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Become a fan of The Waikato Times

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to get the latest news

• Story ideas: Email or call 07 849 6180
• Website ideas: Email or tweet us
• Subscription & delivery - 0800 806 180 or email
• Buy a photo
• View the Digital Edition
• Contacts@Waikato Times
• Advertise on waikatotimes.co.nz

Celebrations- small - Waikato

Celebrations

View marriage and birth notices from around the region

Deaths- small- Waikato

Death Notices

View obituaries from around the region

My subscription

The new easy way to put your Waikato Times delivery on hold or report a missed or damaged paper