An elderly Putaruru man has died at Waikato Hospital after his clothing caught fire as he smoked a cigarette outside the aged care facility.
Detective Sergeant Ricky Thompson of the Hamilton CIB said rest home staff had extinguished the flames by the time emergency services arrived on Saturday afternoon.
''The staff found him and extinguished the fire but he received extensive burns to his torso and head,'' Mr Thompson said.
The Putaruru man was flown to Waikato Hospital by Westpac Waikato Air Ambulance but died a short time later as a result of his injuries.
Management of Cardrona Resthome were unavailable to comment on the incident when contacted by Waikato Times this morning.
Mr Thompson said while police were investigating the incident, they were not looking for anyone else.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Were the Chiefs robbed at the New Zealand rugby awards?Related story: (See story)
View marriage and birth notices from around the region
View obituaries from around the region