Spotlight staff get stuck in
Doors to reopen two days after fireJENNA LYNCH
The team at Spotlight Te Rapa hope to reopen the store tomorrow, a mere two days after a rack of pillows went up in flames.
Staff have been busy hauling damaged goods out of the store today.
Seven Spotlight employees escaped the building when the fire started about 7.45am on yesterday.
Spotlight New Zealand general manager Chris Moore said damage to the store was minimal and the team was working hard today to ensure they would open for business as usual tomorrow.
''It's not a major. The damage is limited to a very small part of the store. 99.5 per cent of the store looks exactly how it was.''
Mr Moore said they were still assessing damages and the total cost of the fire was not yet known.
''The fabrics, they just suck up the smoke like you wouldn't believe,'' he said.He said the fate of the damaged goods was in the hands of the insurance company, however they may have a 'fire sale' to move the product.
The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault and fire services credited the effective sprinkler system for containing the fire to one rack of pillows.
Would a pedestrian and cycleway bridge connecting the Waikato River's east and west banks make Hamilton more appealing?Related story: The Tronpier: Bridge of the Future?
View marriage and birth notices from around the region
View obituaries from around the region