All Blacks win a night to remember

All Blacks fans celebrate in Hamilton

Last updated 05:00 25/06/2012
Liam Messam on his way to scoring a try.
Liam Messam on his way to scoring a try.

Relevant offers

The All Blacks weren't the only ones breaking records on Saturday night as thirsty rugby fans ensured most Hamilton bars chalked up their best night of the year.

Lawrenson Group spokesman John Lawrenson said the night's takings from their 12 bars smashed the tally recorded during Saturday night during the V8 Supercars and was the biggest of the year "by a long way".

"We had five bars do record nights and every bar performed very well. The Bank had its best night since I've owned it."

Irish bar Shenanigans was slightly less profitable than St Patrick's Day.

"At 3am we had so many people waiting to get into pubs it was absolutely ridiculous. At Keystone there was standing room only at 9.30pm. Literally, we couldn't get anybody else in the building and it was pretty much like that until 3am."

Mr Lawrenson said it smashed the V8s weekend in April.

"Keystone would have done $20,000 more than it did on the Saturday of V8s; Shenanigans would have been $10,000 more.

"Myself and second in charge were running all night trying to keep bars from running out of stock."

The only major incident Mr Lawrenson knew of was an aggressive Hamilton man who looked to have been taking a few too many "roids at the gym".

"He didn't like being told that he was too intoxicated to come into one of our bars and he had to be restrained by three or four people. The cops were involved."

There were no problems with the Irish fans, he said.

Fans were also "well behaved" at the sell-out match – unlike the preceding weekend's test in Christchurch.

That nail-biting victory against Ireland was marred by five arrests, 16 evictions from AMI Stadium and up to 30 heavily intoxicated spectators who were turned away before the game began.

In Hamilton it was the All Blacks' intoxicating form that left the Irish players swaying on the pitch underneath a 60-0 score. Senior Sergeant Rupert Friend said there was one arrest at Waikato Stadium, probably for a pitch invasion after the final whistle.

Post-match celebrations were less stellar, yet Mr Friend said it was similar to a typical Saturday night.

"There were 30 people arrested and almost all for the breach of liquor ban and some for detox," he said.

"There was only one person brought in for disorderly behaviour all night – that's right across the city so how many of those were for domestics and the like, I'm not sure."

Waikato Hospital's emergency department took 20 drunk people into care overnight on Saturday. Spokeswoman Mary Anne Gill said those patients ranged in age from 16 into their 50s.

"At 5am [on Sunday] there were still eight intoxicated patients in the department. Also several came in with facial lacerations from scuffles and two with fractured jaws were admitted to ward seven."

But general behaviour was good, she said, as the intoxicated folk were too tired to be aggressive or abusive to staff.

There were also long waits for all other patients due to the number of trauma patients going through the resuscitation rooms.

Ad Feedback

- Waikato Times


Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content