A rural fight night scheduled to take place at Karapiro tonight has been dealt a bitter blow after organisers were told they didn't have the permits to stage the event.
The bitter blow was delivered by the sport's national body, Boxing New Zealand, last week who informed Young Farmer's fight night organiser Casey Huffstutler that the night needed an offical permit to proceed.
"It's been a learning curve," the Young Farmer's upper North Island field officer told Waikato Times.
"Bascially the permit needs about 10 days to process because it needs to go through a New Zealand Boxing meeting - we didn't have the time so we made the decision to postpone the event to June 22," she said.
And while that could mean significant refunds on tickets, Miss Huffstutler said she was impressed by the positive attitudes of everyone involved.
"So far everyone seems to be ok about it, I haven't checked on ticket refunds yet but I'm still hoping we can get our 260 tickets sold."
While she didn't want to "get people in trouble" Miss Huffstutler said her team had followed the advice of a Waikato Boxing group about holding the event, and she was not made aware of permits required for the amateur fight night.
"The boxer's are still training, the event will go ahead and hopefully we can still raise lots of money for the Westpac Waikato Air Ambulance which is our main priority," she said.
And while organisers will miss the extra support from Fieldays visitors Miss Huffstutler hopes the addition of three women's fights would still draw a good crowd along with the six men's bouts on the June 22 card.
The match contenders are from Young Farmers clubs around Waikato/Bay of Plenty, but Miss Huffstutler hopes that national interest from clubs around the country will see the fight night even bigger next year.
"At least we will know exactly what to do next time - and a permit will be right at the top of the list," she said.
- © Fairfax NZ News