Injesting chemical kills pets

21:03, Jan 22 2013

Two cats are thought to have died from antifreeze (ethylene glycol) poisoning within the last three weeks.

One cat lived on Peria Rd and the other on Farmers Rd, where three cats were poisoned in August last year.

Landmark Vets confirmed they had one suspected case on January 11, however, they were waiting on test results to confirm poisoning.

Early symptoms of antifreeze poisoning in a cat can resemble drunkenness, with vomiting, stumbling, loss of balance and dizziness.

Within 24 to 48 hours, signs of kidney failure will develop, including loss of appetite, vomiting and dehydration.

Antifreeze poisoning is most often associated with cats licking up drips or spills. As little as one teaspoon can be fatal.

If you think your cat may have been poisoned, contact a vet immediately.

Advertisement

Matamata Chronicle