Gun allegedly pulled on police

A Waikato man has been arrested after allegedly assaulting and pulling a military style semi-automatic rifle on police who came to search his house.

Police say the incident was made even worse by the fact the man's grandchildren witnessed the alleged attack.

Detective Sergeant Neville Ross, of the Waikato Tactical Crime Unit, said officers went to the Kaihere property on Tuesday to speak to a 34-year-old man in relation to a burglary of a home in which a number of firearms were stolen some months ago.

"On our arrival at the property the man's 61-year-old father was one of several family members police came across in the lounge while the man we wanted to speak to was asleep in a sleep-out.

"The man's father, who is a licensed firearms owner, offered to show our staff where his legitimately owned firearms were secured in his safe but when he went into his bedroom accompanied by two of our officers, the father picked up a military style semi-automatic rifle."

Ross said this created a very volatile situation made all the worse by the father's alleged refusal to put the gun down.

He was disarmed by one officer, but as he was being led to the loungeroom, he allegedly attacked another officer - punching him repeatedly in the face.

"At this point the man was restrained, handcuffed and removed from the house. Though safely resolved, the situation was very disappointing in that the father's grandchildren were present in the lounge and had to witness the attack on the officer."

Ross said while the father was being arrested, his son - the person police originally wanted to speak to - came in from the sleep-out and physically tried to prevent officers arresting his father.

"This resulted in the son's arrest. When he was secured a search was conducted of his sleep-out which resulted in the recovery of a small amount of cannabis and a stolen DVD player.

As a result of Tuesday's incident a 61-year-old man was charged with unlawfully carrying a restricted weapon, leaving a firearm loaded, unlawful possession of a restricted weapon and assaulting police.

A 34-year-old man arrested at the same property was charged with misuse of drugs, obstructing police and receiving property charges.