Man abused as teen speaks out as abuser jailed video


This victim's abuser was sent to prison and as the victim, automatic name suppression applies yet he wants to have his say.

It has taken over 30 years for his predator to be brought to justice.

That's a long time for a man who says he's burdened with feelings of worthlessness, at one point even contemplating suicide and self harm after he was sexually abused by a man associated with his sports team.

But the baggage he was forced to carry since he was a teenager was handed over to the perpetrator when he appeared in court.

Fergus Dunn, now in his 60s was sentenced to four and a half years at the Hamilton District Court earlier this month after being convicted of three counts of indecent assault on a boy aged 12 to 16 years, one count of sodomy on a male under 16, and one of attempted sodomy.  

The victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons but wanted to share his story,  is now in his forties and was able to look his predator in the eye as he was lead away.

Decades after the abuse that has haunted him since he says he hopes Dunn will die in prison.

The man is stronger now and hoped speaking out would liberate other victims of sexual abuse to seek justice.

But more importantly he wants to warn parents that people like Dunn exist.

"If  (someone)asks for your child to stay over, and you get a small inkling that it's weird don't let them go. It is weird."

He recalls what life was like before  Dunn took away his childhood.

Ad Feedback

He loved the outdoors "and hanging with my mates. I was your regular teen."

But he says his life, his confidence, his personality was stripped away after Dunn invited him and a team mate to his home to do a job for him  and enjoy a bit of booze.

"We were going to be paid $20... Twenty dollars was a lot of money for a young boy. I always found Fergus weird but I felt ok about going because my team mate was coming too."

The victim was the younger of the two boys there. 

Life after that day became unbearable.

He says that as a boy he turned to alcohol and at one point he held a gun in his hand and was contemplating suicide had it not been for his dog.

"I just thought if I killed myself who would look after my dog? I made a pact that when the dog died so would I."

But that was not to be; his future wife came into his life and became his rock.

In 2013 he told her everything, and she encouraged him to tell his father.

"As soon as I told him, he encouraged me to go to the police. I was able to tell my story. It took two years to get here but it has been worth it. I have been able to heal and I'm feeling better. It's is still a long road but I will get there"

 The Waikato man credits his counsellors, his wife and father and good friends who have supported him.

"We, as a country have always put a lid on this. We need to talk about it, we need to let those affected know that they are not alone. Once we shine the light on it we can save others. That's why I want my story out there."


Emergency 111

Lifeline Aotearoa 0800 543 354

The Lowdown Free text 5626

Youthline 0800 376 633

Anonymous crime line 0800 555 111

 - Stuff

Ad Feedback
special offers
Ad Feedback