Several businesses had to be evacuated this afternoon after a gas main was ruptured in Hamilton's central city.
Emergency services, including three fire crews, were called to the scene on Worley Pl at 4:05pm.
Businesses on the side opposite Centre Place had to be evacuated, a cordon was put in place and businesses on the other side of the road were told to close their doors and not let anyone outside.
Robert Harris co-owner Deborah Christiansen said a "horrible smell" wafted through the street as the gas leaked from a ruptured pipe.
A loud hissing sound was also reported.
It is understood the cordon will be lifted at about 5:10pm.
- Waikato Times