High levels of P found in children's hair
"Extremely high levels" of P were found in the hair of children belonging to a Hamilton mum who allowed a her partner to operate a p-lab in their garage, a court has been told.
The mother, who was today granted permanent name suppression, will serve eight months home detention after being sentenced in the Hamilton District Court.
She was convicted of ill treatment of a child under 16 after her children were found to have ''extremely high levels'' of methamphetamine in the hair after police raided the woman's south Hamilton home in September 2011.
Police searched her garage where they found the p-lab, although only traces of methamphetamine were found.
She was charged with permitting her premises to be used for drug offences and two charges of possession of drug material with intent, while her 39-year-old partner was sentenced to more than three years' jail in June for his part in operating the p lab.
Crown prosecutor Jamie O'Sullivan said although no methamphetamine was found, the p-lab must have been of high use given the amount of the drug found in the children's hair.
Defence lawyer Nick Chisnall successfully argued for a home detention sentence and permanent name suppression on several grounds, including the fact it would severely impact on her children.
He said she had the support of her social worker and Child, Youth and Family, who did not have any concerns for the well being of the woman's children if she was granted home detention.
In fact, they said home detention would be more beneficial.
Mr Chisnall said the woman was a good mother, putting this incident to one side.
"She is a woman with very significant child care responsibilities ... at low risk of re-offending and you can be assured she will never appear before the court again. This is a blip, a serious one."
In handing down a home detention sentence, Judge Peter Spiller said he took into account the woman's previous good character and accepted the woman ''for not having the mental health capacity for what the children were exposed to and what her partner was doing in the garage''.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Is it time for backyard fireworks to be banned?Related story: (See story)