Man to fight fraud charges
A Waikato businessman is facing fraud charges totalling more than $300,000 along with several theft charges.
But the 39-year-old, who received interim name suppression after appearing in the Hamilton District Court on Wednesday, is vowing to fight the 24 charges.
He was remanded on bail without plea to reappear next week on 18 obtaining by deception charges totally around $325,000, three charges of using a document for pecuniary advantage and two charges of theft of money.
The alleged incidents involve several victims with one losing money once, while another person appears to have lost money on about 10 separate occasions.
The offending is alleged to involve several victims - with one person losing about $140,000 on 10 separate occasions over six months - throughout 2004, 2010 and 2011.
The man is a discharged bankrupt and uses three different names. He said he was fighting the charges which he said had already been dealt with in the civil court.
"These charges relate to a personal grievance between myself and a discharged client who has orchestrated this because they're seeking to discredit me and damage my professional occupation."
- © Fairfax NZ News