Fire at clothing store at The Base
Northbeach surf and skate shop got a literal name change this morning when the "n" burst into flames.
The Pukete fire brigade responded to the emergency call from The Base in Te Rapa about 8.30am.
Station officer Dave O’Donnell said they arrived to find the neon sign above the entrance on fire.
"As you can see it was on fire but we managed to put it out before it became well established," he said.
"Now we’re trying to ascertain why it started but it looks like at the moment it may have started by birds nesting in behind the signage."
They also used a thermal imaging camera to clear the area of any hotspots.
North beach staff member Tyler Parsons said he arrived for work behind the shop to find a man running out saying don’t go inside.
Despite the mini drama, Northbeach, or as it appears now, "orthbeach" is still open for business today.
- © Fairfax NZ News