Motorcyclist in fatal crash named

Last updated 05:00 02/01/2014

Relevant offers

A motorcyclist who died in a crash on State Highway 1 north of Bulls has been named.

He was Gregory John Spargo, 50, of Auckland.

Mr Spargo was discovered yesterday morning by a motorist and might have been lying on the roadside for several hours, police said.

Constable Owen Bright, of the the Ohakea highway patrol, said the motorbike was the only vehicle involved in the crash, which probably happened during the night.

"We're still confirming when it happened," he said.

The crash occurred about 2 kilometres north of Bulls and the motorcyclist was travelling south.

In Auckland, a man has helped police catch a woman who allegedly swerved dangerously on a city road with two children in the car on New Year's Eve.

Police say the 29-year-old woman was almost four times over the legal alcohol limit.

A witness spotted the woman crossing the centre line and veer off the road shoulder at 6.30pm last night, police said.

The car, which was travelling on the Coatesville Riverhead Highway towards Albany, eventually pulled into a residence, where she was breath tested.

There had been two primary school-aged children in the car with her, police say.

"Thanks to this man alerting police we've been able to take an incredibly dangerous driver off our roads," Waitemata road policing manager Mark Fergus said.

Police suspended the woman's licence for 28 days.

She will appear in the Waitakere District Court on January 23, charged with driving with a breath alcohol level of 1568mcg.

Also on New Year's Eve, a driver led South Island police on a high-speed chase that ended with a puncture after a 9-kilometre pursuit on a state highway.

Police in Blenheim and Picton received "several" complaints about the man's driving between 7pm and 8.30pm yesterday, police spokeswoman Barbara Dunn, of Tasman, said.

The blue Subaru sedan was allegedly being driven erratically and had been involved in minor collisions.

At 9.15pm the car was seen travelling fast in Rapaura Rd north of Blenheim, but when police tried to stop it, the car allegedly took off at speeds of more than 150kmh for 5km before pulling over and letting a passenger out, she said.

It sped off again to the intersection with State Highway 6 where it struck a kerb and suffered a puncture, but continued for a further 9km at a reduced speed because of the puncture, Ms Dunn said. It eventually stopped and the driver, a 20-year-old Picton man, was arrested with the help of a police dog.

He was charged with dangerous driving, failing to stop for police, and driving with a breath alcohol level above the legal limit.

Ad Feedback

- Waikato Times

Special offers
Opinion poll

Did the Key v Cunliffe debate change your vote?

Yes, to Labour

Yes, to National

Yes, away from the two big parties.

No, I'll stick with Nats.

No, I'll stick with Labour.

I did not watch.

Vote Result

Related story: Support slips for National and John Key

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content