What caused Huntly house fire?
Police and the fire service are investigating a suspicious house fire in Huntly.
An emergency call was logged just after 6am yesterday and the Huntly Volunteer Fire Brigade arrived to find the house on Harris St near the point of "flashover", fire safety investigator Dave Jenkins said. "Flashover" is the moment when everything inside the home hits a certain heat level and bursts into flames.
"The guys got here just in time, so it never reached flashover," Mr Jenkins said. "The whole place is severely heat and smoke damaged right through the property."
Mr Jenkins said the house was "quite big", perhaps three bedrooms, and the blaze sparked in the dining/lounge area.
It is occupied, but the owner was away when the fire started.
"It's a lovely home," Mr Jenkins said. "He's obviously doing it up with all the wood panelling and everything - it's beautifully done."
Mr Jenkins spent the day searching for the cause of the fire but left with more questions than answers.
"We need to talk to the owner to eliminate several issues that are bugging us. A few things were not quite right within the house."
Mr Jenkins would not say what those things were. He said the building did have smoke alarms which was "good to see".
- © Fairfax NZ News
Would you like to see the development of the Hamilton Gardens fast-tracked?Related story: Hardaker aims to reinvest in Hamilton