Crash girl's mum grateful for support

19:50, Feb 03 2014
Samantha Robertson
Fighting spirit: Samantha Robertson, pictured at Pukekawa School’s calf club day in 2013, is in an induced coma after being hit by a car while riding her bike last week in Pukekawa.

The mother of a young girl fighting for her life after being knocked off her bike has made a heartfelt thank you to the community of Pukekawa for its support.

Samantha Robertson, 10, was riding her bike on Thursday when she crashed into a car. She is in an an induced coma in Auckland's Starship Hospital.

Her mum, Sherry Coulson, said she had been "overwhelmed" and humbled by the help and support offered.

". . . the school, all the people at the scene - we just wanted to thank everyone."

Samantha, a student at Pukekawa School, was struck by a car after riding her bike out of a friend's driveway in Morrison Rd, Pukekawa. She was not wearing a helmet and suffered serious head injuries.

Ms Coulson yesterday said Samantha was in a stable condition and was "hanging in there".


"It's looking promising, she's keeping the neurological people happy, it's just the brain swells that are worrying."

Ms Coulson said she did not blame anyone for the accident, but questioned why a rural road frequented often by children, had a speed limit of 100kmh - not 80kmh or less.

She described her daughter as a "lovely kid, bubbly and caring and a little tenacious".

"She was looking forward to going back to school and really looking forward to going on school camp in March."

Seeing Samantha immediately after the accident was an image Ms Coulson said she would "never get out of my heart".

Although seriously injured, she said Samantha had no broken bones.

"That's testament to how tough she is."

One of the first at the scene of Thursday's crash was off-duty Pukekohe police sergeant Wayne Paxton, who lives in Pukekawa and was on his way home after training.

He described a panicked scene - the accident had just happened and Samantha was lying on the road unconscious, in a "very bad way".

He administered first aid and encouraged Ms Coulson to keep talking to her daughter, telling her what was going on around her.

"She did really well, no parent wants to see their child in their state," he said.

WhenFairfax Media spoke to Ms Coulson, she was home briefly from the hospital, collecting clothes and ensuring her property was tended to.

She said she wanted Samantha to come home to normality - everything as it was before the accident.

The Counties-Manukau police serious crash unit would investigate the incident.

Waikato Times