The official opening of Cambridge's $28.5 million Avantidrome has been pushed back almost two weeks at the request of the Government after the prime minister expressed an interest in attending.
Shifting the date from the initially proposed March 29 to the now pencilled-in April 11 was done to get John Key there, Home of Cycling chief executive Geoff Balme said.
Mr Balme said most of the construction work was complete and a list of "smaller tasks", such as testing of the track lights and timing system was now under way, before the facility was given full compliance.
"The plan is to start seeing tenants moving in from about next Monday."
The nature of the work being undertaken to finish the project has changed, Mr Balme said.
"Earlier in the project and during the construction phase, we were making larger-scale decisions with more time to make them. Now, we have a lot of smaller-scale decisions to make as we finish off the project, but less time in which to make them."
A main focus was to finalise the nature of the Avantidrome's community- use programmes. "There are several indoor velodromes around the world and if we look at a number of them that have already proven successful . . . what has made them successful is the community buy-in and use."
- © Fairfax NZ News