Police make arrest over Fairfield stabbing

23:29, Feb 23 2014
Fairfield stabbing
Bad sign: Blood stains near a Fairfield alleyway mark the scene where a stabbing took place.

A teenager has been arrested over a incident in which a 16-year-old Hamilton youth was stabbed in the chest outside a house party in Fairfield at the weekend.

Neighbours said a large scuffle involving up to 50 teenagers erupted outside a Marshall St house just before 2am yesterday.

A resident, who did not want to be named, said many of the teenagers had been at a party, which was shut down about 1.30am.

"After the party these young kids just stayed out on the street. There were no parents or adults supervising them and that's when the problems started," she said.

Neighbours were woken by big groups of teens swearing and yelling at each other before one teenager was apparently stabbed in the chest with a glass bottle.The victim was taken to Waikato Hospital in a critical condition. He was described yesterday as being in a serious but stable condition in a hospital ward.

Acting Crime Manager, Detective Senior Sergeant Nigel Keall, said a knife was later recovered and a 18-year-old arrested.


He said the stabbing occurred after two male teens, 18 and 16-years-old, left the party and were walking were walking down an alleyway.

"They were confronted by an 18-year-old offender in the alleyway and the 18-year-old victim suffered defensive wounds to one of his hands while the 16-year-old suffered a serious stab wound to his chest." Mr Keall said sporadic disorder had been reported in the area in the hours prior to the attack and a knife believed to have been used in the incident has been recovered.

However, Police are not ruling out the possibility of other weapons being involved.

"The 18-year-old man arrested in relation to the attack will appear in the Hamilton District Court today on two charges of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.''

St John team manager Norm Ngatai said a lot of young people were around when ambulance staff got there but only one person was reported hurt.

Another resident said the stabbing happened in an alleyway connecting Marshall St to Yeats Cres. "It looked like he was stabbed in the chest with a bottle because the wound looked like a pair of red lips. After that he panicked and ran down the street and all his mates followed him," she said.

Large patches of blood were visible yesterday along the concrete pathway.A police cordon was set up in front of the alleyway but removed just before midday.

The woman said Marshall St was generally a quiet street but occasionally parties did get out of hand."I know our street is sick and tired of having to pick up broken glass off the footpath. If I could ask one thing, it would be for people to stop selling alcohol in glass bottles.

Plastic bottles are safer, especially when you get a big gathering of young people."Another resident said many families had lived in Marshall St for more than 20 years but problems arose from the high turnover of residents in state houses. 

Waikato Times