Parsons hammers Waikare attack

Otorohanga captain Leighton Parsons played a starring role in the sixth round of the Waikato Valley Champions Trophy 100-over competition on Saturday.

The big right-hander smashed a sterling 178 as his side racked up a massive 394-5 declared in their 177-run thumping of Waikare at the Otorohanga Domain.

Batting at No 3, Parsons hit 26 fours, along with two sixes over midwicket, with 132 of his runs coming on the on-side in a knock which came from just 115 balls in the oppressive heat.

Ollie Kay (78no) and Calvin Hewitt (55) put the cream on the top as the Waikare bowlers were cut to pieces, with the hosts declaring after 43 overs, giving them 57 overs to get their 10 wickets.

Remarkably, it wasn't Otorohanga's highest score of the season, with their round one effort of 420-3 in 44 overs against Tokoroa still fresh in the memory.

The positive for Waikare was that they didn't have to go at the nine an over Otorohanga had gone at, but seven an over was still going to be an unrealistic ask.

Despite Josh Barnett's 78 and Mitch Dickson's 46, the visitors never got close, dismissed for 217, with medium pacer Matt Henderson collecting four wickets.

There was another declaration in the round, with Hinuera pulling the pin at 302-7 off 48 overs in their match against Tokoroa at Pohlen Park in Matamata.

Ryan Wilson (87), Mitchell Green (62) and Alan Tappin (57) did the bulk of the scoring, before Tappin took five wickets to bundle Tokoroa out for 120.

Kaipaki kept their unbeaten run intact, beating St Paul's Collegiate School by five wickets at the school ground.

Winning the toss and choosing to bat, St Paul's managed to be just one wicket down inside the first 10 overs, despite the Kaipaki bowlers getting plenty of swing.

But the introduction of seamer Elliot Webb was crucial, as he took two wickets with his first three deliveries, going on to take 3-19 off five overs, as the home side was dismissed for just 128 in the 36th over.

Having altered their batting order to get some players time in the middle, Kaipaki slumped to 34-4 in reply, but a 78-run partnership between Kent Currie (47no) and Carl Schwarz (26) ensured the visitors cruised to victory in 30 overs.

In the only non-outright result of the round, Cambridge had to settle for a winning draw against Te Awamutu at the Cambridge Square.

The home side were led by Nick Boyle's 79 and were dismissed in the 52nd over for 214, with Graeme Stewart (3-33 off 11), Rob Burgess (3-34 off 10) and Jarred Arden (3-39 off seven) all in the wickets.

In reply Robert Kaihe and Connor Clarke both top-scored with 37, but Te Awamutu weren't threatening the target.

Off-spinners Keith Vincent (3-30 off 13) and Matty Menzies (3-48 off 12) were key for Cambridge, but the hosts couldn't quite get the job done, as Te Awamutu batted out their 48 overs, finishing 165-9.

Waikato Times