Cambridge shrug off early injury crisis

17:00, May 23 2012

Cambridge High School managed to pull off a win in their first game of the girls' 1st XI soccer season despite more than a third of their team sitting out the match with injury.

After the grading games for the Waikato secondary schools soccer competition, Cambridge had clinched a spot in the first division – but six of their 16-strong squad had been forced on to the sideline.

Junior players were called up to the premier girls' team and helped clinch a 5-1 win in the side's season opener against Fairfield College.

Hamilton Girls' High quickly took control of their game against Waikato Diocesan School for Girls' 1st XI, with HGHS striker Rachel Porteous scoring the opening goal within five minutes of the whistle.

A clear shot from Jess Minhinnick extended the lead before, after a well contested half, Porteous found the net for a second time. Diocesan midfielder Izzy Coombes and a tight defensive lineup worked tirelessly to rebuff the HGHS advances, but the HGHS backline and good footwork from Emma Megchelse kept their team ahead.

By the end of the second half two more goals by Roberta Wigelsworth, and one from Kaitlin Bates just before the fulltime whistle, had given Hamilton Girls' a 6-0 win.


The St Peter's School 1st XI had an 8-0 victory over a gritty Forest View team.

The St Peter's squad had difficulty early on, but with Bethanee Witt breaking through with two goals before halftime the team at last found their rhythm.

The second half saw St Peter's come out with a fierce energy – the side grabbing six more goals and a comfortable win, with little challenge from their opponents.

Hillcrest High School took on Sacred Heart Girls' College and won 6-1 after scoring from the outset.

The Hillcrest team made quick work of their young and inexperienced opponents, ending the first half three goals up.

To their credit, the Sacred Heart side improved in the second stretch and Hillcrest briefly found themselves in an even match.

However, Sacred Heart failed to follow through on their opportunities to score and Hillcrest came away with the convincing win.

Waikato Times