- North Korea fired two short-range missiles towards waters east of the Korean Peninsula. No damage or injuries were reported. South Korea is said to be keeping an eye on the situation.
- At least 28 women are dead after an attack on a Baghdad brothel. The unidentified militants left a note on the door: "This is the fate of any prostitution."
- Israeli troops clashed with Hamas gunmen in the first reported ground incursion in the Gaza Strip. Neither Israel nor Palestinian fighters show signs of agreeing to a ceasefire to end their weeklong conflict, despite calls by the United Nations Security Council and others.
- Photos have emerged of a lonely, depressed polar bear suffering in 40 degree Celsius heat in a South American zoo. Campaigners are worried the bear now has mental health problems, and they want it moved to better facilities.
- Rihanna in Rio was struggling to get attention during the World Cup, but after a near-naked dip, she's back in the Daily Mail.