While you were sleeping: Catching a comet
Here's a rundown of things that happened in the world while you slept:
The European Space Agency's Rosetta spacecraft became the first in history to rendezvous with a comet.
- A helicopter rescue worker arrested on suspicion of stealing former F1 champion Michael Schumacher's medical notes was found hanged in his police cell.
- The World Health Organisation announced it will convene a panel of medical ethicists to consider whether experimental drugs for ebola should be more widely released.
- Actress Marilyn Burns, who starred in the 1970s film The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and television movie Helter Skelter, has died aged 65.
- Germany's benchmark stock index entered correction territory, having fallen more than 10 per cent since June, hit by weak domestic data and the worsening situation in Ukraine.
- A new study has found the benefits of taking aspirin each day clearly outweigh the risks, particularly for cancers of the digestive tract.
- Valdimir Putin has banned or restricted agricultural imports from countries imposing sanctions on Russia over the crisis in Ukraine.
- At least 30 people have been killed in an air strike in the northern Iraq city of Mosul, reportedly aimed at the jihadist group which seized the city in June.
- At least 40,000 members of one of Iraq's oldest minorities are trapped on a mountain in the country's northwest, facing slaughter by surrounding jihadists if they flee, or dehydration if they stay.