Suu Kyi not on hunger strike - Junta
Myanmar's detained opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi is not on a hunger strike, the military government said, after reports the Nobel laureate had refused food supplies for three weeks.
"At the request of Daw Suu Kyi, arrangements were made for her lawyer to visit her three times and her doctor once. The information we heard from them did not indicate that Daw Suu Kyi was going on hunger strike," police chief Brigadier General Khin Yi told a news conference in the new capital Naypyitaw.
The opposition National League for Democracy (NLD) said on Friday its leader had refused food supplies delivered to her Yangon home for three weeks in protest against her detention and restrictions on visitors.
"We hereby declare that the authorities will be responsible for the safety of life and survival of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi," the NLD said in a statement. The 63-year-old Suu Kyi has been in prison or under house arrest for nearly 13 of the past 19 years. Her latest detention began in May 2003.
Suu Kyi's lawyer, Kyi Win, said he asked about her condition during a visit to her home last week.
"I told her that people were worried about her health and kept wondering if she was going on hunger strike," Kyi Win said.
She told him to say: 'I am well, but I have lost some weight,' he added.
Kyi Win said she had given him permission to explore legal avenues to end her latest stretch of house arrest.
It is extremely unlikely that the military, which has run the former Burma for the last 46 years, will pay any attention to the legal arguments and release her.
Asked about the chances for her release, Khin Yi said: "We are carrying out everything according to the law. So it will be decided in accordance with the law."