A war grave desecrated in another attack at a Libyan cemetery is unlikely to belong to one of the 11 New Zealand soldiers buried there.
The incident at the graveyard in Benghazi saw several grave markers removed though only one headstone was kicked over.
New Zealand's Ministry of Culture and Heritage said it had been advised by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) that only one grave was damaged and it was unlikely to be a New Zealand one, although it was still waiting on confirmation.
Khaled Al-Jazwi, a spokesman for the Benghazi local council, told Reuters the attack happened last Thursday.
"We don't know yet who did this," said Jazwi. "We have spoken to the local council's security committee about investigating who is behind this. This cemetery has been here for decades and nothing like this has ever happened before."
In March, a video on YouTube showed what claimed to be Wahhabist rebels kicking over the gravestones and using sledgehammers in an attempt to bring down a large cross - apparently in retaliation for the burning of a Koran by American troops in Afghanistan.
A statement from Libya's National Transitional Council at the time strongly condemned the attack, saying it was deeply regretted. The council pledged to prosecute anyone involved.
The CWGC was in the process of replacing or repairing graves damaged in the earlier attacks.
The war graves commission said there were more than 1,200 Commonwealth servicemen buried at the Benghazi War Cemetery and almost 300 at the Benghazi British Military Cemetery.
The New Zealand soldiers in the Benghazi War Cemetery are:
Private Hedley James Boult, Flying Officer Hector Hugh Crawford, Flight Sergeant Lorenzo Richard Feasey, Flying Officer William Lynn Kauter, Lance Corporal Arthur Leslie Milne, Sergeant Maurice Reginald Mutton, Lieutenant Hector Alexander McAulay, Flight Sergeant Mitchell Ridland, Aircraftsman 1st Class Thomas Martin Scott, Pilot Officer William George Duncan Thurston, Private Peter Edgar Alfred Vivienne Wardle.
- © Fairfax NZ News