Egypt bans YouTube over Prophet video

Last updated 05:00 10/02/2013

Relevant offers


Nigerian parents reunite with 21 girls freed by Boko Haram Great Pyramid could contain more hidden secrets, experts believe Nigerian President says wife 'belongs in the kitchen' Joy as families of 21 Chibok girls wait to be reunited after Boko Haram release Boko Haram frees 21 kidnapped Chibok girls, says Nigerian government 'I was kidnapped and raped for being too beautiful' After American sisters die at luxury Seychelles resort, family seeks answers Seychelles hit by third sudden tourist death, after sisters found in their hotel room Mystery surrounds deaths of American sisters holidaying in Seychelles Africa welcomes anti-poaching drones in Google and the WWF initiative

A Cairo court has ordered that the website YouTube be banned in Egypt for 30 days for carrying an anti-Islam film that caused deadly riots across the world.

Judge Hassouna Tawfiq ordered the government on Saturday (local time) to block YouTube because it carries the amateur film produced by an Egyptian in the United States. The film caused uproar for denigrating Islam and the Prophet Muhammad.

Lawyer Mohammed Hamid Salim, who filed the lawsuit last year, alleges the film constitutes a threat to Egypt's security.

The ruling can be appealed. Past verdicts ordering the blocking of websites deemed offensive in Egypt have not been applied.

The film sparked demonstrations last September that spread to more than 20 countries, including Egypt.

Ad Feedback

- AP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content