Oscar Pistorius settles in 2009 assault case

Last updated 06:56 13/02/2014

Relevant offers

Africa

Veteran big game hunter dies after elephant, felled by gunfire, collapses on him Freed Nigerian schoolgirls reunite with families three years after kidnapping Christian sect members attack Congo prison, free leader, government says Heavy gunfire erupts in Ivory Coast's two main cities after army mutiny World Health Organisation confirms second Ebola case in Congo outbreak Congo death signals new Ebola outbreak in central Africa - ministry South Africa captures four of five escaped lions from Kruger Park War forces two million South Sudanese children to flee homes Hundreds of migrants feared dead in Mediterranean over weekend - survivors 82 girls released by Boko Haram extremist group arrive in Nigeria's capital

Oscar Pistorius reached a settlement with a woman over an alleged assault case from 2009 because his lawyers advised him he could not fight civil and criminal legal battles at the same time, the spokeswoman for the Olympic athlete said on Wednesday (local time).

Double-amputee runner Pistorius, who goes on trial on a murder charge next month, was arrested and accused of causing an injury to a guest at a party at his house five years ago after allegedly slamming a door and then punching it.

Pistorius family spokeswoman Anneliese Burgess said the settlement agreement was finalised late last year with Cassidy Taylor-Memmory. She accused Pistorius of assault in the September 2009 incident. Taylor-Memmory was reportedly injured in the leg when the door broke.

"The reasoning for the settlement being that Oscar was advised by his lawyers that he could not run a civil and criminal matter (side) by side," Burgess said in a statement to The Associated Press. The matter had "no bearing" on Pistorius' murder trial, Burgess said, and was settled "solely for the purposes of expediency."

Burgess did not give any details of the settlement.

Pistorius will go on trial from March 3 on a charge of premeditated murder for the killing of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp at his home last February 14, and also faces other firearm-related charges at the trial at a high court in Pretoria. He denies murder and claims he shot Steenkamp by mistake after believing she was a dangerous nighttime intruder in his bathroom.

Pistorius' lawyers are also in negotiations with the family of Steenkamp over another out-of-court settlement ahead of his murder trial.

Regarding the 2009 case, Pistorius had launched a counter claim against Taylor-Memmory, accusing her of making up the assault. He said he was arrested without reason.

Eyewitness News quoted her as saying Pistorius agreed to pay her legal fees and also drop his US$200,000 counter claim against her.

"I agreed to it because I was so tired of it weighing me down," Taylor-Memmory told Eyewitness News, claiming she was harassed by the media and the public and received hate mail. "It became so difficult at a stage that I needed a bodyguard when I went out in public due to all the hate rants."

The 2009 arrest is when Pistorius is believed to have first come across former detective Hilton Botha, one of the first police investigators to examine the scene after Pistorius shot Steenkamp last Valentine's Day - a year ago on Friday.

Ad Feedback

After Steenkamp's shooting death, police said there had been previous incidents "of a domestic nature" at Pistorius' upscale Pretoria house without elaborating on them.

- AP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content