Islamist fighters massacre 90 villagers

Last updated 10:29 17/02/2014
Boko Haram
Reuters

A separate attack by Boko Haram gunmen in the Nigerian village of Kawuri last month killed 85.

Relevant offers

Africa

Nigerian launches offensive against militants in Delta oil hub Judge rejects prosecution bid to extend Oscar Pistorius' jail term Introducing Zenkerella, the world's most mysterious mammal Oscar Pistorius appeal case set for next week, defence says 'enough is enough' Aryanna Gourdin, 12, shocks with hunting photos of giraffes, zebras on African safari I was a child soldier Huge yellow fever vaccination campaign begins in Africa amid fears of global spread South African woman gets 10 years for kidnapping baby nearly two decades ago 'We are suffering': Fresh agony for Nigerian parents in new Boko Haram video In video, 'Boko Haram abductee' says girls killed in airstrikes, 'married' to militants

 

 

Suspected Islamist fighters killed at least 90 people in an early morning attack on a village in remote northeast Nigeria on Sunday, witnesses said.

The Boko Haram gunmen surrounded the village of Izge, near the border with Cameroon, spraying it with bullets, setting off explosions and burning down dozens of houses, they said.

"As I am talking to you now, all the dead bodies of the victims are still lying in the streets," resident Abubakar Usman told Reuters by telephone. "We fled without burying them, fearing the terrorists were still lurking in the bushes."

Borno state Police Commissioner Lawal Tanko confirmed the attack but said he had no details of casualties. Another witness, Lawan Madu, said hundreds of residents had fled.

President Goodluck Jonathan ordered extra troops into northeast Nigeria in May to try to crush the insurgents, who want to carve a breakaway Islamic state out of largely Muslim northern Nigeria, where they have killed thousands of people.

But the Islamists simply retreated into the remote, hilly Gwoza area bordering Cameroon, from where they have continued to mount deadly attacks that increasingly target civilians.

Jonathan faces an election in a year’s time, and the persistence of Boko Haram’s 4-1/2-year-old insurgency despite an costly military operation against it remains a major headache.

Last week, Boko Haram fighters in trucks painted in military colours killed 51 people in an attack on the Konduga local government area.


Ad Feedback

- Reuters

Comments

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content