Canadian police shooter remains on the run

Last updated 07:58 06/06/2014
Reuters

Amateur video captures a shootout with a gunman in Canada that left three police officers killed. Gavino Garay reports.

canada shoot
ON THE RUN: Royal Canadian Mounted police tweeted this picture of the suspect shortly after the shootings.
canada shoot
Reuters
MEN DOWN: Police officers take cover behind their vehicles after three Royal Canadian Mounted Police were shot in Moncton, New Brunswick.

Relevant offers

Americas

Shot St Louis teen's autopsy report leaked Four dead babies found in locker in Canada Former Washington Post editor Ben Bradlee dies Lewinsky was 'patient zero' Autopsy show Brown shot in hand Isis intercepts US arms drop to Kurds 'Mr. President, don't touch my girlfriend' Suspect 'radicalised' in Canadian hit-and-run attack Americans worried more by economy than Ebola Indiana suspect who may have killed for decades

Canadian police are combing the streets and woods in search of a man suspected of killing three officers in the deadliest attack on their ranks in nearly a decade.

The suspect, armed with high-powered long firearms, was spotted three times while eluding the massive manhunt that emptied roads and kept families hunkered in their homes in Moncton, an east coast city where gun violence is rare.

A large number of police officers could be seen in a part of the search perimeter with their weapons drawn, some peeking around buildings. Others were patrolling streets within the cordoned off area. Armoured security trucks were also visible.

Officers, including members of a tactical unit, were seen in front of one building but later left.

Justin Bourque, 24, was seen in three different places around the search area on Thursday morning (overnight NZT), said Commander Marlene Snowman.

Bourque was wearing military camouflage and carrying two rifles in a picture released by police on Twitter.

At one point, he was seen coming in and out of a wooded area, Snowman said.

"He's capable of moving into the wooded area and out," she said.

Investigators have not determined a motive for the shooting Wednesday evening. Three officers were killed after responding to a call about an armed man in the north end of Moncton. Two other officers were wounded.

It was the deadliest attack on the RCMP since four officers were killed by a gunman on a farm in the western Canadian province of Alberta in 2005. That attack remains the deadliest on Canadian police officers in 120 years.

Snowman said Bourque was not known to police.

"Quite honestly I don't know where he is at this time," Royal Canadian Mounted Police commanding officer Roger Brown said.

Police officers from across the country have been brought in to help arrest the suspect, Brown said.

Schools and government offices were closed, and the city pulled its buses off the roads. Mail delivery was suspended.

Police have commandeered armoured trucks and told residents to stay indoors.

Brown said the two wounded officers underwent surgery for non-life threatening injuries on Thursday and he met with their families.

"The RCMP family is hurting. As is Moncton, New Brunwick and our country," Brown said.

The homicides were the first this year in Moncton, a city of 69,000 people about 290 kilometres east of the Maine border. RCMP Constable Damien Theriault said the city had no homicides last year.

"We have been blessed until this point," Theriault told The Associated Press.

Police released a map of a large portion of the northwest section of the city, including a heavily wooded area, where they wanted people to remain inside with their doors locked. Families hunkered down in their basements.

Ad Feedback

Daniel St Louis, a commercial photographer, said he came upon the scene about 8.30pm on  Wednesday and saw two blood-stained police vehicles on separate streets.

One of the vehicles, a marked police cruiser, was surrounded by shattered glass. The other, an unmarked SUV with its lights still on and the driver's side door left open, had several bullet holes through its front windshield.

"I walked over and I saw two feet, facing the street, toes up," said St. Louis, 51. "I realised, 'oh my God. There's somebody down'. As I got close, I realised it was an officer and this is not a good situation."

St Louis said he doesn't know what to make of the tragedy.

"Our quiet little city, what is going on here?" he said. "How is this happening to us? It always happens to somebody else."

Tim Holt said he and his daughter have been locked down in his home for hours. Holt's wife had worked late on Wednesday and wasn't allowed to join her family. She said she's worried and scared.

"I've just been locked in with my baby girl," Holt said by telephone as his 1-year-old daughter Leigha babbled in the background.

"I've got the radio and the news channel on. ... I've been going from the backyard window to the front door and back to the backyard. It's kind of ridiculous, but it's all I can do."

A few blocks away, Conrad Gagnon, 53, said he was playing a video game in his living room when he spotted a man through a window.

"It was like he was meditating on something and talking ... like somebody on drugs and living in his own world," he said. "He was talking to himself. I saw his lips moving."

Shortly afterward, Gagnon said he heard gunfire.

"I heard five or six shots and after that another five or six shots," he said.

Danny Leblanc, 42, said he saw the shooter in the distance on Wednesday evening, wearing a camouflage outfit and standing in the middle of the street with his gun pointed at police cars.

The construction worker said he believed it was an RCMP officer until he heard a burst of gunfire coming from the man's gun.

He said he quickly retreated into his home and remained there with his family. At one point a neighbour posted on social media that their kitchen window was shattered by gunfire.

Leblanc said few people on his normally quiet street were sleeping as they awaited word at midnight on whether an arrest had been made.

Such violence is rare in Canada, particularly on the east coast.

The three officers were the first Canadian police killed the line of duty since March 2013, when a Kativik police force officer in northern Quebec was shot after responding to a domestic violence call.

Based on information from the RCMP's Honour Roll page on its website, the last Mountie to die from a gunshot was Constable Douglas Scott on November 5, 2007. He was shot while responding to a call for help involving an impaired driver at Kimmirut, Nunavut.

In 1974, two Moncton cops were kidnapped, shot and killed after making a traffic stop.

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, in Brussels for a meeting of the G-7 group of nations, offered his condolences to the families, colleagues and friends of those affected by the shootings.

- AP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content