Man uses blowtorch on spider, burns house

Last updated 07:59 17/07/2014

Relevant offers

Americas

Danielle McLaughlin: Standing Rock, Environmental Justice, and Populism for all? Police chase man 'under the influence' across airport tarmac in San Francisco 1.8 million year old animal fossil found in Mexico could be giant shark Rudy Giuliani pulls out of consideration to serve in Donald Trump's administration US balloon pilot who killed 16 was on drugs and had five drink-driving convictions Alabama inmate Ronald Smith Jr coughs, heaves, during execution by injection Man dies from emotional stress after being 'forced to clean a store bathroom after leaving a mess' Worst ever jailbreak attempt caught on camera Bolivian airline CEO to be jailed until soccer crash trial over All welcome, says Mexican father, as invite for daughter's birthday goes viral

A US man who used a can of spray paint and a lighter as a makeshift blowtorch to kill a spider in his laundry room started a blaze that caused NZ$69,000 worth of damage.

The man and his mother got out of the house, and no injuries were reported in the fire that broke out in the West Seattle home, said Kyle Moore, a spokesman for the Seattle Fire Department.

Moore said the man used the spray paint and lighter as "a self-made blowtorch to kill a spider in the laundry room" of a rental house.

"I don't want to encourage people to do this, but that's what he did," Moore said. "The spider tried to get into the wall. He sprayed flames on the wall, lit the wall on fire, and that extended up to the ceiling."

Firefighters initially fought the fire from outside after someone reported hearing ammunition go off in the house. Crews eventually went inside the house after confirming from tenants that there was no ammunition inside.

The man initially tried to put water on the fire, but he wasn't able to put it out and the blaze quickly spread into the attic.

"There are safer, more effective ways to kill a spider than using fire," Moore said. "Fire is not the method to use to kill a spider."

The Red Cross is providing temporary shelter for the home's two residents, whom authorities have not identified.

As for the spider, Moore said: "I'm pretty sure the spider did not survive this fire. The whole wall went."

Ad Feedback

- AP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content