Man choked to death in roach-eating contest

SUZETTE LABOY
Last updated 09:48 27/11/2012

Relevant offers

Americas

Danielle McLaughlin: Healthcare nightmare could end in socialist pipedream Jared Kushner wanted secret communication channel, Russian ambassador told Moscow 'Angel of Death' nurse charged with killing another baby, suspected in 60 murders Girl treated for dangerous infection after being grabbed by sea lion Construction begins on world's largest telescope in Chilean desert 'The Germans are bad, very bad': Trump's alleged slight generates confusion, backlash Hillary Clinton denounces 'cruelty' of Trump's proposed cuts and predicts impeachment US politician accused of 'body-slamming' reporter wins election, apologises Want a gourmet pizza but can't afford one? Get locked up in this US jail Jared Kushner willing to co-operate with investigators in Russia probe

A US man choked to death after downing dozens of live roaches during a contest earlier this year in which the grand prize was a python, an autopsy released early today (NZ time) concluded.

Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach, Florida, died as a result of "asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents," according to the report released by the Broward County medical examiner's office. It said his airway was obstructed by the roach body parts, which caused him to not be able to breathe.

"There is a flap called the epiglottis that is supposed to stop objects from going into the lungs," medical examiner Craig T. Mallak said.

"Unfortunately, it doesn't always work. In the video you could see him trying to swallow and breathe at the same time. We can't do both simultaneously."

Lab tests for drugs came back negative. The death has been ruled an accident.

Archbold died after downing the bugs as well as worms in the October 6 contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, about 70 kilometres north of Miami.

Messages left with the store's owner and his attorney were not immediately returned.

Archbold became ill shortly after winning the contest and collapsed in front of the store. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

About 30 people ate the insects, but authorities said none of the other contestants became ill.

Ad Feedback

- AP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content