US 'cannibal cop' eyed colleague for kidnap

Last updated 11:38 01/03/2013
Gilberto Valle cannibal cop

EMOTIONAL TESTIMONY: Former New York City police officer Gilberto Valle listens as his wife Kathleen Mangan testifies in this courtroom sketch during his trial in New York.

Relevant offers

Americas

Outrage after school replaces blind boy's cane with pool noodle Executed black teen pardoned after 70 years North Korea linked to Sony hack after all Freed by Cuba, US contractor Alan Gross says it's 'good to be home' President Obama gambles that he can defeat Cuba lobby Pope congratulates Cuba, US on new ties Cuban cigar access to remain restricted - for now US-Cuba key events timeline US travel industry eyes Cuba tourism US, Cuba to restore diplomatic relations after 50 years

The cannibalism case against a US police officer has taken another macabre turn as an FBI agent testified that a New York Police Department supervisor was among the women the officer considered a potential target for a kidnap and torture.

The testimony came amid a report that a man considered a co-conspirator of Officer Gilberto Valle - identified in the case by the online name Moody Blues - had been detained in the UK in connection with the case.

Returning to the witness stand at Valle's federal trial in Manhattan, FBI agent Corey Walsh told jurors that a search of Valle's computer had turned up a file with multiple photos of a woman the agent identified as an NYPD officer who supervised Valle.

The government had previously introduced a transcript of an email exchange in February 2012 in which Valle offered a co-conspirator a menu of women he could abduct for rape and torture.

"The second girl listed is a cop - Evelyn, 33 years old," Valle wrote.

"No I want a reg girl," the man responded.

The revelation came as the defence sought to discredit allegations that the 28-year-old Valle conspired with internet friends to kidnap, kill and eat women, pressing agent Walsh on why some communications were proof of a crime while others were deemed fantasies.

Defence attorney Robert Baum directed Walsh to obvious falsehoods in communications that the government has used as evidence Valle was an actual threat.

In one, Moody Blues insisted he and Valle would need a secluded place to cook a woman alive.

"I have a place on the mountains," Valle wrote. "Nobody's around for three quarters of a mile."

Asked if that was true, Walsh testified that authorities "are not aware of a place he had in the mountains."

Valle has been held without bail since October, when he was arrested on charges of conspiring to kidnap women in a cannibalism plot born on the internet.

Throughout the trial that began on Monday, Valle's lawyers have attacked government evidence as nothing more than the reflection of a man engaging in extreme sexual fantasies with like-minded people around the world.

The government has conceded that Valle never met the purported internet co-conspirators and no women were harmed.

Jurors have heard testimony from Valle's estranged wife, and from former classmates and other women who testified they knew Valle on a casual basis and never considered him dangerous.

Their testimony was followed by evidence that all of them were the subject of emails and chats describing how they could be snatched away and eaten.

Prosecutors allege Valle's cyber co-conspirator Moody Blues told the officer he had killed and eaten at least two women in the past.

The New York Post reported on Thursday that two men had been arrested in a child porn case in Britain, and that one was Moody Blues.

When asked whether there had been any arrests related to Valle prosecution in New York, local police in the southern England county of Kent said they had briefly detained two men from the area around Canterbury, the famous cathedral city southeast of London.

Ad Feedback

Kent Police identified the men only as a 57-year-old and 30-year-old, saying that they had been arrested a week ago on suspicion of conspiracy, child grooming, and possession of child abuse images.

The force said in a statement that the men have since been released on bail.

The statement said Kent police had "been in contact with US law enforcement agencies in relation to this investigation" but did not go into any further detail.

An FBI spokesman in New York declined comment.

- AP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content