New Boston bomber photos released

Last updated 16:43 19/07/2013

Relevant offers

Americas

Donald Trump says he'll do more for women Charlotte police video: new details of shooting of black man The New York Times endorses Hillary Clinton for US President Police search for gunman who killed five at Washington state mall Costa Rica gets 100 illegal immigrants a day hoping to get to US Professor who's predicted 30 years of US presidential outcomes correctly says Donald Trump will likely beat Hillary Clinton Australian man shot by robbers moments after pushing wife out of harm's way Boy on scooter does US$1 million in damage in Wal-Mart Video shows deadly encounter between police, black man Keith Scott Hillary Clinton prepares for two Donald Trumps in US presidential debate

A Boston police photographer has been suspended from duty after releasing dramatic photos of the arrest of marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

Sergeant Sean Murphy released the images after becoming outraged when music magazine Rolling Stone put the teen on its next cover.

He wrote to Boston Magazine saying he was horrified by the music magazine's "glamorising" of the April attack that killed three and mained hundreds of others.

The pictures, taken when Tsarnaev was captured on April 19, show the young man bloody, covered in dirt, with the red circle of a laser target trained on his forehead as he emerged from a dry-docked boat in a Watertown backyard.

Murphy said they showed the ''real Boston bomber, not someone fluffed and buffed for the cover of Rolling Stone magazine.''

"I believe that the image that was portrayed by Rolling Stone magazine was an insult to any person who has every [sic] worn a uniform of any colour or any police organisation or military branch, and the family members who have ever lost a loved one serving in the line of duty," he said.

"What Rolling Stone did was wrong. This guy is evil."

Tsarnaev's brother, Tamerlan, was killed during a shootout with police.

Boston Magazine editor John Wolfson tweeted today that Murphy had been ''relieved of duty'' since releasing the photographs.

''Murphy has been relieved but not yet fired. Duty hearing next week,'' he tweeted, adding that Murphy's gun, badge and computer had been confiscated.

''Has been ordered not to talk to media or anyone else about events at Watertown,'' he tweeted.

Massachusetts State Police spokesman David Procopio told CNN that Murphy "is on leave and has a hearing next week.''

That hearing would determine whether he would return to full duty, restricted duty or suspended during an internal police investigation, he said.

Earlier, state police spokesman David Procopio said in a statement that the agency did not authorise the release of the photos to Boston Magazine and would not release them to other media.

"The State Police will have no further comment on this matter tonight," he added.

- Agencies

Ad Feedback
Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content