Zimmerman to take up celebrity boxing - reports

Last updated 14:58 02/02/2014
Zimmerman
ACQUITTED: George Zimmerman.

Relevant offers

Americas

Landlord charged with trespassing for sex in renters' bed Mysterious disappearance of Colorado mother, two sons leads to 'horrific ending' Grieving Brazilian town receives bodies of football plane crash victims China lodges protest after Trump call with Taiwan president The Mall of America's first black Santa: 'Santa comes in many different colours' Nasa deputy administrator visits Buzz Aldrin in Christchurch hospital Woman strings up 10k rainbow lights to send message to bigoted neighbour Donald Trump speaks with Taiwan's president, risking China tensions Teenager Brandy Vela kills herself in front of family after 'relentless' bullying Donald Trump has ushered in a world without facts, and that's scarier than you think

George Zimmerman, who was acquitted of second-degree murder last year in the shooting death of unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin, plans to take up celebrity boxing and is on the lookout for an opponent, the website Radar Online have reported.

Zimmerman, 30, linked to the report in a post on his Twitter account with the words, "Here we go."

Promoter Damon Feldman is behind the celebrity boxing match, set to take place on March 1, according to the story.

"Boxing isn't new to me," Zimmerman told Radar Online in an article posted on the celebrity news outlet's website last week.

Zimmerman began boxing long before the February 2012 incident with 17-year-old Martin that drew national attention, he told Radar Online. The case polarised the nation around issues of racial justice, self defence and gun control.

Zimmerman's plans to enter the ring come after he successfully capitalised on his celebrity in December by auctioning a flag painting on eBay, selling the artwork for just over $100,000.

Some of the proceeds from the event would go to an animal rescue charity, Zimmerman said, but he declined to name the organisation. He also suggested he might not box again after the event.

"Obviously if I get my butt kicked around, then no!" he told the website.

Prosecutors accused Zimmerman of profiling, following and shooting Martin, a guest in a gated neighborhood in the town of Sanford, Florida, as Martin was returning from a trip to a convenience store to buy Skittles and iced tea. Zimmerman claimed self defence.

Zimmerman, who was a neighborhood watch captain at the time of the shooting, in July 2013 was acquitted by a jury of second-degree murder and manslaughter charges in Martin's death.

The trial put the spotlight on Florida's controversial Stand Your Ground law, which allows someone in fear of his or her life to shoot.

Since his acquittal, Zimmerman has had several brushes with law enforcement officials. He has twice been stopped for speeding, once in Texas and in Florida.

In September, Zimmerman was questioned by police after his estranged wife called authorities saying he threatened her with a gun. He was not charged in the incident, which occurred a week after she filed for divorce.

Zimmerman was arrested in November on domestic violence charges that were dropped last week after his girlfriend withdrew her complaint. 

Ad Feedback

- Reuters

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content