Donald Trump considered using 100,000 troops from US National Guard to round up immigrants, memo suggests

REUTERS

Trump's consideration of a National Guard immigrant roundup has been described as "despicable".

The Trump administration considered a proposal to mobilise as many as 100,000 National Guard troops to round up unauthorised immigrants, including millions living nowhere near the Mexico border, according to a draft memo.

Staffers in the Department of Homeland Security said the proposal had been discussed as recently as Friday.

The 11-page document calls for the unprecedented militarisation of immigration enforcement.

US President Donald Trump's adminstration discussed an 11-page document calling for the unprecedented militarisation of ...
REUTERS

US President Donald Trump's adminstration discussed an 11-page document calling for the unprecedented militarisation of immigration enforcement.

White House spokesman Sean Spicer said on Saturday morning (NZT) the document was "not a White House document".

READ MORE:
US President Donald Trump fibs about voter support - then tries to blame advisers
Trump blames media for his administration's troubles
Trump to replace travel ban order
No-one spoke to Russia: Trump

"There is no effort to do what is potentially suggested," he said.

White House spokesman Sean Spicer said the document was not White House's.
REUTERS

White House spokesman Sean Spicer said the document was not White House's.

Spicer called the AP report "100 per cent not true, adding that there was "no effort at all to utilise the National Guard to round up unauthorised immigrants".

A DHS official described the document as a very early draft that was not seriously considered and never brought to the secretary for approval.

Governors in the 11 states would have had a choice whether to have their guard troops participate, according to the memo, which bears the name of US Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly, a retired four-star Marine general.

Ad Feedback

While National Guard personnel have been used to assist with immigration-related missions on the US-Mexico border before, they have never been used as broadly or as far north.

The memo was addressed to the then-acting heads of US Immigration and Customs Enforcement and US Customs and Border Protection. It would have served as guidance to implement the wide-ranging executive order on immigration and border security that President Donald Trump signed January 25.

Such memos are routinely issued to supplement executive orders.

 - AAP

Ad Feedback
special offers
Ad Feedback