Two killed in bus explosion in southern China
An explosion went off on a bus that then caught fire on Tuesday (local time) in the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou, killing two people and injuring at least six, China's official news agency reported.
The bus exploded at around 7.30pm (local time) after the packed bus pulled into a stop, the Xinhua News Agency said, adding that the blast and flames injured people waiting for the bus.
"I heard a bang, and in five minutes, the bus was reduced to a frame," an unnamed passenger who escaped the bus was quoted as saying.
Guangzhou police said on their microblog that they were investigating the incident, which occurred in the Haizhu district of the city. They said two charred bodies had been found at the scene.
Earlier this month, 32 people were injured in a fire on a bus in eastern China's Hangzhou city after a man on board poured flammable liquid from his backpack and set it alight. Police said the man set the fire to try to gain fame, according to Xinhua.
The incidents come at a time when Chinese authorities are on edge following a series of violent attacks blamed on Muslim extremists, causing them to increase security at airports and train stations, and on buses.