Afghan role 'improved US thaw'

Last updated 05:00 17/03/2013

Relevant offers


Fonterra blindsided as nineteen arrested in China over milk powder scam Blast in Chinese town leaves more than 100 dead or injured Galaxy Note 7 recall: More than 500 sue Samsung for $616 Rurik Jutting: British banker 'filmed killing and torture' of two women in his luxury Hong Kong high rise, jury told AJ Hackett to open new "world's highest bungy" - in China Japanese suicide pensioner blows himself up in park, injures three others North Korea's newest zoo attraction is a chimpanzee trained to smoke cigarettes Watch: Heroic police officers rescue students from blazing school bus in China Powerful earthquake in western Japan, no danger of tsunami Jakarta offers bounty to citizens who catch rats

As Kiwi troops prepare to leave Afghanistan, military top-brass have said the country's commitment to the war-torn nation has helped thaw relations with the United States.

The majority of New Zealand's 213-strong Provincial Reconstruction Team are set to leave Bamiyan province next month.

Twenty-seventy troops will remain - including three members of the crack SAS unit - for up to another 12 months.

Just weeks before the withdrawal, a document released by Parliament's Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade Committee has highlighted how our efforts in Afghanistan had helped thaw American frustrations towards New Zealand.

For years, New Zealand's anti-nuclear policies had meant our defence forces were not invited to US-run training drills which our Australian counterparts were.

But that had changed following New Zealand's commitment to the American-led war on terror in Afghanistan.

"Officials said that the relationship has improved as the United States favourably viewed New Zealand involvement in Afghanistan, considering the size of New Zealand," the committee document stated.

The committee's document confirmed that as the PRT prepares to leave Afghanistan, patrols of the dangerous northeastern area of Bamiyan province were no longer being completed.

That decision had been made after the failure to secure vehicles for our troops which would offer the best protection against IED blasts.

Ad Feedback

- Sunday Star Times

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content