Poison victim's parents hope charges close

LEIGHTON KEITH
Last updated 05:00 21/05/2013
Liam Davies
LIAM DAVIES: The 19-year-old from Taranaki died after drinking a drink mix laced with methanol at an Indonesian bar in January.

Relevant offers

Asia

N Korea sentences American to hard labour Ferry sinks in Phillipines, at least 70 missing Indian police collect bodies floating in floodwaters Major river overflows, threatening Pakistan city Corby says Bali drug suspect not her boyfriend 'Growing irritation' over MH17 investigation Family to leave Bali without missing dad China tells US to stop spy missions No distress call from MH17, report finds Monsoon rain collapses mosque, kills 10

The parents of a Kiwi teenager who died of methanol poisoning in Indonesia are hopeful charges will soon be laid over his death.

Indonesian police have been investigating the death of Liam Davies, 19, who died after drinking a vodka and lime mix laced with methanol at Rudy's Bar on Gili Island off the northwest tip of Lombok, Indonesia, in January.

Liam's parents Tim and Lhani Davies, of Taranaki, having been fighting for the last five months to get the authorities to hold someone accountable for their son's death.

"The biggest part of getting acknowledgement will be to get a conviction of manslaughter for Liam's death," Mrs Davies said.

"The investigation is now in its final point with the Indonesian police expected in Perth next week to interview Liam's treating doctors and the three boys who travelled with Liam.

"We will be hoping for an arrest soon after."

Liam was taken to the international hospital in Lombok on January 2 and flown to Perth that night. He was in a coma until his life support was turned off on January 6.

Mrs Davies said although the tragedy had devastated the family they were determined to focus on what they could do rather than what they could not.

"We can't bring Liam back but we can raise awareness of what's going on so others won't die needlessly."

The Liam Foundation charitable fund - Lifesaving Initiatives Against Methanol - was established in an effort to prevent other families from having to go through the same ordeal.

Mrs Davies said the charitable fund was already making an impact with warning information being distributed in tourist areas.

The foundation was also providing medical training through the AusAid nursing director for Indonesia, Di Brown.

"Di ran a very successful training day last month at the Sanglah hospital teaching how to recognise symptoms and treatment methods," Mrs Davies said.

However, the foundation had gained more traction than expected and was now in desperate need of further funding to continue its work.

People can register their support and make donations to the foundation on Facebook/lifesaving initiatives against methanol.

Liam's aunty, Megan Stewart, of New Plymouth, leaves today to take part in the Gobi March, a 250-kilometre race through the desert in Mongolia and China.

Ms Stewart hoped to raise the awareness of methanol poisoning during her trip.

Mrs Davies said the family were grateful for Ms Stewart's support at the time of Liam's death.

Ad Feedback

"We could not of got through those first two weeks of our nightmare in January without Megan here with us and we will be following Megan closely as she walks for our boy."

Mrs Davies said the family would celebrate Liam's 20th birthday on May 30, with his two brothers and some of his friends.

- Taranaki Daily News

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content