Second Taliban attack kills 13

MIAN KHURSHEED
Last updated 01:28 21/01/2014

A suicide bomber kills at least 10 people in a market near the Pakistani army headquarters in Rawalpindi. Michaela Cabrera reports.

Relevant offers

Asia

Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives in New Zealand for visit and trade talks Two gold mine accidents in central China leave 11 dead US judge grants Singaporean blogger's asylum request Body of NZ man who dived off a cliff to try to save his swept away girlfriend in Bali found Australian man given suspended sentence, fined $200, over jet ski death South Korean ferry that sank 3 years ago lifted from sea Nearly $7000 raised to bring home Kiwi man missing in Indonesia US, Seoul vow to punish Kim Jong Un, North Korea after failed missile test Planes were trying to leave and land as the air traffic controller slept the day away Piggy Bank' turtle Omsin dies after good luck coins poison her blood

A Taliban suicide bomber has killed 13 people in a crowded market near the Pakistani army headquarters, a day after the Taliban killed 20 soldiers near the largely lawless, tribal region of North Waziristan, police said.

The market, a short walk from the army headquarters in Rawalpindi, near the capital, Islamabad, was in one of the most secure areas of the city. The area was cordoned off by the military immediately after the blast on Monday (local time).

Two college students wearing blue uniforms were among the dead, their bodies lying near wreckage of a bicycle and pools of blood. Rescue workers struggled to help the wounded. Windows were shattered several hundred metres away.

The attacks come after a couple of months of relative calm as the Taliban regrouped following the death of leader Hakimullah Mehsud in a drone strike in November. A drone had killed his deputy earlier in the year.

After protracted negotiations, Mehsud was replaced by Mullah Fazlullah, a ruthless commander who has made large-scale attacks on Pakistani security forces his trademark.

Police Superintendent Muhammad Maqbool said five of the 13 killed on Monday were soldiers. Fourteen were wounded, he said.

Taliban spokesman Shahidullah Shahid claimed responsibility for the blast on behalf of the Islamist insurgents.

"We will continue attacks on the government and its armed forces as the government has neither announced a ceasefire nor peace talks with us," he said.

Monday's attack came a day after a bomb planted by the Taliban ripped through a vehicle carrying Pakistani troops on Sunday, killing 20. Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif cancelled his trip to the World Economic Forum in the Swiss resort of Davos this week to address the violence.

The government is keen to pursue peace talks with the Taliban to end the insurgency but there has been an upsurge in attacks since Sharif won elections in May 2013.

Ad Feedback

- Reuters

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content