Reflections of a tortured man

Last updated 11:55 10/03/2014

Relevant offers


Surgery for baby born with a tail Japanese singer in coma after being stabbed 20 times by fan Insect poo threatens to damage marble at India's Taj Mahal Atop Everest: Frozen bodies keeping an eternal post at the roof of the world After 'sons of whores' comment, Philippines' Rodrigo Duterte says he will defy Church Lawyers appeal against death sentences over murder of British tourists in Thailand Four hurt as car slams into Shanghai restaurant Thailand school dormitory fire: 17 dead, five injured Record heat wave hits India Indonesian volcano Mount Sinabung's deadly wake up

The local Chinese official remembers the panic he felt in Room 109. He had refused to confess to bribery he says he didn't commit, and his Communist Party interrogators were forcing his legs apart.

Zhou Wangyan heard his left thigh bone snap, with a loud "ka-cha". The sound nearly drowned out his howls of pain.

"My leg is broken," Zhou told the interrogators. According to Zhou, they ignored his pleas.

China's government was under strong pressure to fight rampant corruption in its ranks, faced with the anger of an increasingly prosperous, well-educated and internet-savvy public. 

However, the party's methods for extracting confessions exposed its 85 million members and their families to the risk of abuse. 

Experts estimated at least several thousand people were secretly detained every year for weeks or months under an internal system that was separate from state justice.

In a rare display of public defiance, Zhou and three other party members in Hunan have described the months of abuse they endured less than two years ago, in separate cases, while in detention. 

Zhou, land bureau director for the city of Liling, said he was deprived of sleep and food, nearly drowned, whipped with wires and forced to eat excrement. 

The others reported being turned into human punching bags, strung up by the wrists from high windows, or dragged along the floor, face down, by their feet.

All said they would talk despite the risk of retaliation because they were victims of political vendettas and wanted to expose what had happened. Party officials denied any abuses had taken place.

Zhou's account was supported by medical records, prosecutor statements, party reports and a notice confirming that police failed to investigate the abuse. The evidence also corroborated with informatio gained from interviews with family and friends.

A Liling party official named Yi Dingfeng said provincial authorities were investigating the case. Local anti-graft officials on a Hunan online forum in February last year denied Zhou was tortured, saying he injured himself by slipping in the bathroom.

Eighteen months after his leg broke, Zhou still limped on crutches.

"My time in shuanggui was tragic and brutal. It was a living hell," he said. 

"Those 184 days and five hours were not a life lived by a human. It was worse than being a pig or a dog."

The abuse of suspects in China was hardly limited to party members. And critics said President Xi Jinping was clamping down even more strongly on society than his predecessor, with increased detentions of people who push for political change, protest censorship and demand that officials disclose their wealth. However, little was known or reported about mistreatment within the party's obscure detention system for its own members.

Ad Feedback

Chinese laws said only prosecutors and police had the right to arrest or detain people. 

Party experts acknowledged their internal detention system was legally problematic, but said it was essential because party members often controlled the courts and police. A party official said 90 per cent of major corruption cases in recent years were cracked through secret detention.

Aside from Zhou, three others have talked about their detention. Wang Qiuping, a party secretary in Ningyuan, said he was slapped often and forced to stand and kneel for hours during a detention of 313 days. 

His deputy Xiao Yifei said he was hooded for more than a month and beaten by an interrogator who went by the nickname: "Tang the Butcher." 

And Fan Qiqing, a contractor, said he was kicked, lashed and forced to take hallucinogenic drugs. A Ningyuan party official said only that the investigation involving the three men was carried out in a "civilised manner" and no one was tortured.

Zhou, then 47, was taken away from his office in July 2012 by three men from the party's local anti-graft agency. He blamed his detention on a party boss who bore him a grudge, later removed by the party in an investigation without reasons given.

Zhou spent most of his six months of detention at Qiaotoubao, known as a model centre for anti-corruption efforts. The local government conducted regular tours of Qiaotoubao to warn party cadres against corruption. 

On an official tour in 2011, Zhou himself had noted the audio and video surveillance in each room and concluded that it seemed like "a safe environment" for detainees.

In Qiaotoubao, Zhou's questioners punched him and dragged him on the floor by his hair, he said. They made him smoke 10 cigarettes at once with his face near lit coals. 

They pressed his face into water in a sink until he thought he was drowning. They slapped his face with shoes and broke four teeth.

On at least three nights, they pinned him down and force-fed him faeces and urine with a spoon. They dubbed the meals "American Western Feast" and "Eight Treasures Porridge".

Most painful of all, they showed him a video of his 22-year-old daughter being detained for 48 hours and interrogated.

It was in September that the interrogators broke his leg. Two weeks later, Zhou started slipping into unconsciousness. Only then, he said, did they let him go to a hospital under the false name of Wang Yan, with the story that he had fallen in the bathroom.

Medical records showed that upon admission to the Zhuzhou City No. 1 People's Hospital on September 29, his thighs, calves and feet were swollen, his skin red and hot and his left thigh badly bruised. 

Further tests revealed fluid in his thighs, kidney stones, an enlarged liver and swollen lymph nodes on his groin. Scans confirmed that his left thigh had broken into several pieces.

A week after surgery, Zhou's investigators took him back to Room 109, he said.

It was three months later, in the winter, when Zhou finally caved. He signed a confession saying he had accepted 40,000 yuan, or NZ$7800, in bribes and wrote a resignation letter.

He was released in January last year. An amateur video shot that day by his family showed a visibly thinner Zhou hobbling out of the building on crutches. He was helped on a stretcher and into an ambulance.

A week later, Zhou submitted complaints to party and provincial authorities. In November, prosecutors decided not to indict Zhou, according to a notice from the Liling City Procuratorate.

A year after Zhou's release, no action has been taken against his interrogators. Strict censorship rules prevent Chinese state media from reporting on the case, so Zhou said he was taking the tremendous risk of talking to the foreign media.

After Communist Party officials were contacted for comment, Zhou has received two calls warning him not to talk. 

Wang, his wife and his younger brother got similar calls threatening "consequences," and Wang was told he would no longer receive a salary or health insurance.

Despite everything, Zhou hoped for justice.

"I still believe that the Chinese Communist Party is a good ruling party," Zhou said. 

"I also believe that not too far in the future, there will be a place in the People's Republic of China in which we can speak freely, a place where my terrible case will receive a fair and just response."


- AP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content