Two dead in Chinese kindergarten poisoning

Last updated 17:35 21/03/2014

Relevant offers

Asia

Bizarre details emerge in Jakarta sex abuse case Chinese secret police seek to interview NZ citizen Explosive allegations in baby Gammy saga Eight die in China bus stop crash Evacuations as Philippines' volcano spews lava American arrested trying to swim to North Korea al-Qaeda wing in South Asia claims major attack Forensic report into Thailand murders leaked Thai police question slain Brit's roommate American 'trying to swim to North Korea'

Two children have died and another 30 were sickened in a mass poisoning at a kindergarten in southwestern China.

Investigators identified the toxic substance as a powerful rat poison, but did not yet know how it had been ingested on Wednesday in the kindergarten in Yunnan province's rural Qiubei county, according to a statement from the provincial government.

Food served at the school, the Jiajia Kindergarten, has been tested and found to be safe, the statement said. The particular type of poison was outlawed years ago as a threat to human health, but remains in circulation.

State broadcaster CCTV said that the school began accepting students last year despite not being fully licensed, a common problem in China's vast and largely impoverished hinterland.

Apart from the victims, aged 4 and 5, another six children remained hospitalized while the others had been released and returned home.

It wasn't clear whether the poisoning was intentional or an accident.

Chinese schools have suffered a series of mass stabbings and other attacks by mentally disturbed people or those bearing grudges. There have also been incidents of school staff administering medication without authorization.

Ad Feedback

- AP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content