Man in court after toddler hostage drama

Last updated 16:25 12/06/2012

Relevant offers

Australia

Dead Australian man's testes removed after application by fiancee What about Adam? Nine's internal review ignores those abandoned in Beirut An Australian man arrested over Bali flight 'prank' Producer Stephen Rice gone as report finds systemic failures Babysitter Courteney Matthews charged over crash that killed police officer's child Man arrested in Bankstown on terrorism charges Thousands of pills and $125,000 in cash seized in NSW raids Melbourne rugby player arrested in Los Angeles hotel room Caterpillar 'conga lines' caught on camera in Western Australia Man finds $131m in his account, 'it happens sometimes' says bank

A man has been charged following a six-hour suburban siege north-west of Melbourne during which a toddler was allegedly used as a shield.

Anthony Moana, 50, appeared in Melbourne Magistrates' Court today on 10 charges and was quickly remanded into custody.

Officers had earlier arrived at a Kurunjang home, in the city's far outer fringe, around 8pm (local time) yesterday, after reports of a neighbourhood assault.

Police say a man had been armed with a knife and began threatening officers before barricading himself inside the home with an 18-month-old boy and a 55-year-old woman.

"The offender nursed the child for the length of the siege, using the child in some ways as a shield," Inspector Ian Geddes had earlier told the Nine Network.

Police moved into the home and arrested the man about 2am on Tuesday after a fire was allegedly lit inside the home.

Moana is facing charges of arson, criminal damage by fire endangering life, intentionally damaging property, reckless conduct endangering life, reckless conduct causing serious injury, escape from prison/police jail, two counts of making threats to kill and two counts of assaulting police.

He will appear in court again on September 3.

Ad Feedback

- AAP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content