BREAKING NEWS
IOC won't ban Russia from Rio 2016 Olympics ... Read more
Close

Teen killed by methanol-laced cocktail

BLANTON SMITH, LEIGHTON KEITH AND AAP
Last updated 19:16 06/01/2013
DANGEROUS BREW: Liam Davies suffered methanol poisoning after drinking at a bar on the island of Lombok on New Year's Eve.
Supplied
DANGEROUS BREW: Liam Davies suffered methanol poisoning after drinking at a bar on the island of Lombok on New Year's Eve.

Relevant offers

Australia

The personality traits that help you spot an aggressive person Key player in Sydney's drug importation scene Adam Powell sentenced to jail Around-the-world balloonist breaks world record returning to Western Australia Jetstar mid-air fight: Alleged brawlers return to Melbourne Jetstar mid-air fight: Plane brawlers return to Melbourne 'I love you': Mum of fire victim tattoos son's final text on her wrist Australian man jailed for drunken New Year's Day one-punch attack Kiwi in triple murder sentenced to life Kiwi involved in bloody on-board Jetstar brawl may owe thousands Ban on Wicked Campers in Queensland widely applauded

A former Taranaki teen who was poisoned after drinking a methanol-laced cocktail in Indonesia has died.

Liam Davies, 19, was rushed to an Indonesian hospital on New Year's Day suffering from methanol poisoning after drinking at a bar on the island of Lombok, near Bali, on New Year's Eve.

A decision was made to medivac Davies home where he was on life support in a critical condition at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital in Perth.

His family have warned people to be aware of the risks of consuming locally brewed drinks in Indonesia where you couldn't be certain of the quality.

The teenager, who lived in Taranaki until he was about six, is the son of Lhani (nee Prentice) and Tim Davies who moved to Perth 14 years ago.

A family spokeswoman said that although he had a lot going for him in Perth, "Taranaki never left Liam's heart".

"Even though in Perth he had everything, the best parents ever, two younger brothers, great friends he was always going to be the one to come back for good," she said.

A growing number of cases of methanol poisoning had previously led to  health authorities warning of the dangers of potential poisoning from drinking the local ‘‘arak’’ brew.

In September 2011, 29-year-old Perth-based rugby player Michael Denton, a New Zealander, died in Bali after consuming arak, which is described as a colourless, sugarless beverage with a 20 to 50 per cent alcohol content which is distilled from rice or palm sap.

It is usually produced legally and safely, but unlicensed distillers also produce it, and a by-product of incorrect distillation is methanol.

At Denton’s inquest in Dunedin, coroner David Crerar said foreign ministries should warn citizens about the dangers of consuming the local concoction, which also blinded an 18-year-old Australian school leaver in Bali last month.

The cases have also prompted the Australian Medical Association (AMA) to warn travellers to stick to bottled beers.

‘‘It’s difficult to know whether these drinks are being deliberately spiked or there’s just unprofessionalism in the distillation process and the methanol’s not being filtered out,’’ said AMA vice-president Michael Gannon.

‘‘I think the best thing for people to do is acknowledge that these type of things might happen in places like Bali and Lombok and to treat these places differently.’’

Ad Feedback

- Taranaki Daily News

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content