Push to protect travellers from poisoning

Last updated 17:33 07/01/2013
DANGEROUS BREW: Liam Davies suffered methanol poisoning after drinking at a bar on the island of Lombok on New Year's Eve.
Supplied
DANGEROUS BREW: Liam Davies suffered methanol poisoning after drinking at a bar on the island of Lombok on New Year's Eve.

Relevant offers

Australia

Queenslander killed Kiwi in self-defence, court told US scientist lured to Western Australia by spider deemed 'world's fastest predator' Australian paedophile ring dad is jailed for raping and pimping daughter When death is the first sign anything is wrong: Sudden cardiac death in young people I always hoped I could be a hero in a violent crime, then one happened in front of me Australian police find body of Aaron Pajich; two women charged with murder Stepmum accused of leaving kids alone while she left the country due in court Giant python slithers into Australian woman's bedroom US grand jury indicts Australian Michael Quinn on child sex charges 'Fake tradie' Andrew MacRae says he's the real deal for Aussie election campaign ad

Foreign Minister Bob Carr says Australia will make ''serious representations'' to Indonesia about regulating its drinks market in tourist areas, after a New Zealand-born Perth resident died after drinking a methanol-laced cocktail on Lombok.

Liam Davies, 19, died on Sunday after being poisoned during New Year's Eve celebrations at a bar on the island.

On holiday with friends, Davies fell ill on New Year's Day and was flown back to Perth on Thursday, before dying in hospital.

A number of cases of methanol poisoning has previously led to Australian health authorities warning of potential poisoning from drinking the local ''arak'' brew.

An 18-year-old Australian school leaver was blinded in Bali last month and in September 2011, Perth-based rugby player Michael Denton died after consuming arak - which is distilled from rice or palm sap and described as a colourless, sugarless beverage with a 20 to 50 per cent alcohol content.

Also in 2011, Newcastle nurse Jamie Johnston suffered brain damage and renal failure after drinking a methanol-laced cocktail in Indonesia.

On Monday, Senator Carr said that Australia's Consul-General in Bali, Brett Farmer, would make representations to the Indonesian authorities as soon as possible.

Senator Carr told reporters in Sydney that the representations would focus on whether ''more careful policing'' and ''better regulation'' -  especially of the lower end of the market - ''might be a useful thing to do''.

''We can't enforce Australian alcohol standards overseas, but we can make representations to see that young travellers are better protected from this danger,'' Senator Carr said.

''We'll find ways of working with our good friends the Indonesians to reduce the risk of adulterated drinks.''

- SYDNEY MORNING HERALD WITH AAP

Ad Feedback
Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content