Poisoned NZ-born teen misdiagnosed

Last updated 05:00 11/01/2013
tdn liam stand
DANGEROUS BREW: Liam Davies suffered methanol poisoning after drinking at a bar on the island of Lombok on New Year's Eve.

Relevant offers

Australia

Paedophile back working with kids in Australian church 'Tinder Experiment' by Australian uni students exposes paedophiles Tourists in Australia flock to goldfields in wake of lucky find Disappearance of Kiwi Michael Huria in Western Australia sparks massive search General Manager at Bankstown Lidcombe Hospital Chris Leahy stood down over baby gassing error Programme to prevent teen pregnancy had a reverse effect, study shows Gobi the dog - who followed an Aussie ultramarathon runner for 125km - has been found Australian woman rebuilds her life after mother forced her to work as a prostitute Australian mum paints son in blackface for school costume competition - and wins Former Australian deputy PM Tim Fischer proposes 'massacre tax' on US guns trade

The Taranaki-born teenager who died from methanol poisoning after drinking a cocktail in a bar near Bali was misdiagnosed in an Indonesian hospital as having a brain aneurysm, his family has revealed.

Liam Davies, 19, was celebrating with mates on New Year's Day when he fell ill after consuming a vodka and lime mix containing the toxin on Gili Island off the northwest tip of Lombok.

He was taken to a local hospital for treatment and then flown to Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital in his home town of Perth where he died at the weekend when life support equipment was turned off.

His family released a statement yesterday in which they revealed Liam was misdiagnosed in an Indonesian hospital as having a brain aneurysm.

"The ICU team [at SCGH] quickly diagnosed Liam had methanol poisoning ... despite all of their efforts too much time had passed before Liam received the correct medical attention," said the statement, read by Liam's father, Tim.

Ad Feedback

- Taranaki Daily News

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content