Toddler dies after swallowing battery

Last updated 21:25 01/07/2013
Batteries

DEADLY: Children are at great risk if they swallow lithium batteries.

Relevant offers

Australia

Warriena Wright murder-acquitted Gable Tostee speaks of split with Kiwi ex girlfriend Lizzi Evans Highway traffic chaos, 42 tonnes of trash strewn across road after truck crash Major breakthrough in 1970 case of toddler Cheryl Grimmer - her kidnapper and suspected killer is 'still alive' Zookeeper uncovered as the man responsible for punching a kangaroo to save his pet dog John Key's lessons for Australia 'Say it ain't so, bro!': Australian PM Malcolm Turnbull rues John Key's departure Video of man fighting kangaroo to save pet dog proves a hit online, but those who made it haven't come forward Aussie underworld figures offer to help recover stolen rocket launchers from extremists Gold Coast playboy Gable Tostee left his Kiwi ex-girlfriend 'emotionally starved' Kangaroo attacks man's pet dog, gets the shock of its life

A child has died after swallowing a  lithium battery on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast.

The toddler was flown to the Royal Brisbane Hospital in a critical condition after swallowing the battery on Sunday, the  department of community safety says.

The child from Tewantin, who is believed to be aged three or four, died on Monday.

Susan Teerds from Kidsafe Queensland told ABC radio the button-shaped batteries are found in many common household items.

‘‘When a child swallows a battery it often gets caught in the oesophagus, around the voice box. Once it’s been lodged, within an  hour, it will start to burn a hole,’’ she said.

‘‘The saliva actually starts a chemical reaction and burns a hole through the oesophagus and can keep burning a hole into the aorta,  through to the spine and whatever else is there.’’

Ad Feedback

- AAP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content