Australian mine search for missing teen

Last updated 11:42 25/07/2013

Relevant offers

Australia

Children stabbed to death in Cairns Pregnant siege hostage's baby healthy Clive Palmer media advisor Andrew Crook detained over alleged kidnapping Police hunt for couple who sucked coins from car wash using vacuum cleaner Tori Johnson's partner pays tribute: 'He has made our city smell like flowers' Sydney siege gunman Man Haron Monis 'caught on CCTV in Martin Place' Hundreds of MH17 remains still to be identified Sydney siege: Katrina Dawson's daughter leaves touching note at Martin Place #illridewithyou turned into moving song The hostage that eluded Sydney siege gunman

A painstaking excavation of an old mine in Australia has resumed as crews search for the remains of a teenager who went missing 23 years ago in an outback town.

Karen Williams, 16, was last seen in Coober Pedy, South Australia, in the early hours of August 4, 1990.

Police, mine rescue and SES workers today began their second day of excavating an old mine on the outskirts of the town after detectives received new information.

Detective Superintendent Des Bray said there were three mine shafts at the site in which Williams' body was likely located.

While nothing was ever certain, police have "every expectation and we genuinely believe this is the most likely place in South Australia that we'll find Karen Williams", he said.

"It's going to be a very, very slow search.

"We've got a shaft which is less than a metre in diameter, somewhere around 35 feet (10.67 metres) deep which we have to excavate by hand, by filling buckets, bringing it to the top on a rope."

Police said Williams had been with friends at the Opal Inn and at Sergio's Restaurant, before she was allegedly dropped off by a young local man in Dawes Street.

Last year a A$200,000 reward was offered for information leading to an arrest in the case.

Ad Feedback

- AAP

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content