Rolf Harris has maintained his silence after being charged with 13 child sex offences in the UK including the indecent assault of two teenage girls in the 1980s.
The entertainer faces six counts of indecently assaulting a 15-year-old girl in 1980 and 1981 and three charges of indecent assault on a girl aged 14 in 1986.
Harris is also charged with four counts of making indecent images of a child in the first half of 2012.
Downloading or printing indecent images from the internet can amount to "making" the image in Britain.
"We have determined there is sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction and that a prosecution is in the public interest," London's chief prosecutor Alison Saunders said in a statement.
Harris, 83, was charged when he visited a police station on Thursday to answer bail.
He's due to appear at a London court on September 23.
The singer and artist has refused to comment on the allegations since he was first named in the press in April. He is sticking to that strategy.
Reporters gathered outside his Berkshire home west of London on Thursday afternoon but there was no answer when AAP rang the intercom.
Harris's agent has not returned calls or emails.
The Australian's neighbours were happy to talk, however.
They are continuing to support Harris with one telling AAP: "It's awful, the poor chap."
"When you are in your 80s I hope the sins you committed in your youth don't come back to haunt you," she said.
Another added: "We don't believe it."
A third described Thursday's news as sad, stating: "The only thing I'll say is he's a very good neighbour."
Friend and fellow singer Vince Hill was lost for words over the scale of the charges.
"This just isn't the Rolf I know," Hill told British tabloid The Daily Mail.
"But whatever happens to him - and everyone is innocent until proven guilty - I'll always be his friend. He knows that."
Harris was first questioned over allegations of sexual assault in November 2012.
He was arrested in late March 2013 by officers from Operation Yewtree, which was established following the Jimmy Savile sex abuse scandal.
At the beginning of August he was re-arrested following further allegations.
A police file of evidence was then passed to prosecutors just over a fortnight ago.
Harris has made two public appearances since being named.
He performed at Bristol in mid-May and the Wickham Festival in early August.
At the most recent gig a clearly emotional Harris stumbled over his words when thanking the cheering crowd of 2500 festival-goers.
"Just before I go any further I would just like to thank you all for my support ... for your support," he said.
Harris was awarded an MBE in 1968, an OBE in 1977 and a CBE in 2006.
He painted a portrait of the Queen in 2005 and performed at her Diamond Jubilee concert in 2012.
But in recent months the entertainer has been dropped as the face of British Paints and replaced as the host of the hit TV show Animal Clinic.
Operation Yewtree was established after a TV documentary aired allegations that former BBC presenter Savile, who died in 2011 aged 84, sexually abused countless children.
So far 14 people have been arrested under Operation Yewtree. Of those four - including Harris - have been charged.
Police say the Australian isn't linked to Savile other than that he "was in the public spotlight at around that time".