Cole Miller's killer Armstrong Renata charged with assaulting prison officers

Armstrong Renata (pictured) pleaded guilty to killing Cole Miller with unlawful striking causing death.

Armstrong Renata (pictured) pleaded guilty to killing Cole Miller with unlawful striking causing death.

A New Zealand man who killed promising Queensland water polo player Cole Miller in Australia has been charged with assaulting three prison officers, months out from his sentencing.

Armstrong Renata, 22, has been in custody since the early morning attack on Miller in the Fortitude Valley, Brisbane nightlife precinct on January 3 last year.

He pleaded guilty in August to the newly created charge of unlawful striking causing death and was remanded in the Woodford Correctional Centre, to face sentencing in June.

READ MORE: One-punch accused Armstrong Renata remanded in custody

Cole Miller died after a being attacked in Brisbane.

Cole Miller died after a being attacked in Brisbane.

Last Tuesday, Renata and another inmate, 22-year-old Mauritius Faolua, allegedly attacked three officers at the centre in what one prison source described as a "brawl".

Another source told Fairfax Media the prisoners were objecting to being told to "double up" in cells, as overcrowding increased to almost 130 per cent of capacity.

All three officers were taken to hospital, one with a broken arm, and discharged later that day.

A police spokeswoman said two men had been charged with three counts each of serious assault of a corrective services officer, to appear in the Caboolture Magistrates Court in May.

Miller, an elite water polo player in his own right whose brother was an Olympian in the sport, died in hospital on January 4 last year, the day after the attack.

The 18-year-old was walking with a friend through Fortitude Valley's Chinatown Mall when Renata and three other men approached them in the early hours of January 3.

One man allegedly said "Do you want to see something funny?" before challenging Miller to fight and throwing the first punches.

Then Renata came from behind, punching the water polo player in the head and causing massive brain trauma.

A week after his death, the slain boy's brother, Billy, said it was "about to be Cole's time to shine", as thousands of people turned out to remember the young man in King George Square.

Ad Feedback

"Cole was about to live out his dream with his family and friends by his side," he said.

Another man is also facing charges over the death.

Renata's lawyer, Mitchell Cunningham, said he could not comment without speaking to his client.

After a Brisbane District Court hearing in January, Foalua was jailed for 19 months on several charges of assault occasioning bodily harm.

He was due to become eligible for parole a week before the alleged assault.

 - Brisbane Times

Ad Feedback
special offers
Ad Feedback