Without glasses, woman 'didn't even know' she had stabbed her former husband

The woman, who cannot be identified, leaves the Downing Centre court complex.

The woman, who cannot be identified, leaves the Downing Centre court complex.

An Australian woman who stabbed her former husband in the neck while she was heavily pregnant has been found not guilty of wounding with intent to murder.

​After deliberating for about a day, the jury returned a verdict clearing the woman of all charges in Sydney's Downing Centre District Court on Friday afternoon.

The woman claimed she stabbed her ex-husband in self-defence after he punched her in the face in her apartment in 2015.

The court heard that, unable to see without her glasses and scared for her safety, she grabbed a knife from the kitchen bench and inadvertently struck her former husband in the neck, collarbone and chin. 

"She didn't even know that she had made contact with him," her barrister John Korn told the jury in his opening address.

"He attacked her and she did what she felt at the time in circumstances of panic and in circumstances where she couldn't see what was in front of her.

"He will no doubt come before you with a completely falsely constructed facade as to who he is."

The ex-husband had an entirely different account of what unfolded, the court heard.

He claimed that, when he went to the unit to pick up their son under a custody agreement, the woman told him she had a "surprise" for him and placed a tea towel over his face.

"[He] felt the sensation of a warm liquid flowing down his chin area ... He saw the accused holding a knife about head high," Crown prosecutor Glen Porter told the jury in his opening address.

Ad Feedback

With blood gushing from his wounds and unable to swipe his iPhone open, the man stumbled towards the front door and yelled for help.

The Crown said the woman continued to follow him with the knife, screaming, "You'll never take [him] from me."

Paramedics detected two golf ball-sized lumps on the woman's forehead and a swollen cheek when they arrived at the unit, the court heard.

But there was a dispute about whether the injuries were a result of her ex-husband assaulting her or if she had deliberately caused them herself.

The woman was also acquitted of the less serious charges of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and recklessly causing grievous bodily harm.

 - Sydney Morning Herald

Ad Feedback
special offers
Ad Feedback